Entrevenous Laser Treatment (EVLT)
EVLT is a quick, minimally invasive, outpatient laser procedure performed utilizing imaging guidance. After applying tumescent anesthesia to the vein, the interventional radiologist inserts a thin catheter, about the size of a strand of spaghetti, into the vein under ultrasound guidance and guides it up the greater saphenous vein in the thigh or the lesser saphenous vein in the calf. Then pulses of laser light are delivered inside the vein. This heats the vein and seals the vein closed. There is no post operative scarring, as only a tiny laser probe and a slim plastic sheath enters the vein via a tiny skin nick. EVLT procedure treats the source of unsightly varicose veins with no hospital stay, minimal-to-no scarring, no lengthy recovery and minimal-to-no side effects. In less than an hour, you can be free from bulging, twisted varicose veins and back to enjoying your everyday activities. The EVLT procedure is safe, fast, and effective. With EVLT procedure you can show off your legs again.
EVLT uses targeted laser energy to seal the vein shut and help you look and feel better fast.
What can I expect from the EVLT procedure?
- Treatment in less than an hour
- Can be performed in the doctor’s office
- Up to 98% success rate
- Immediate relief of symptoms
- Return to normal activity immediately – with little or no pain
- No general anesthesia or hospitalization
- Minimal-to-no scarring
- Typically covered by insurance
- Your doctor uses ultrasound to map out your vein
- Local anesthetic is applied
- A thin laser fiber is inserted through a tiny entry point, usually near the knee
- Laser energy is delivered to seal the faulty vein
Walking immediately after the procedure is encouraged. Normal daily activity can be resumed; just avoid rigorous activities such as gym workouts. There may be minor soreness and bruising. Any discomfort can be treated with over-the-counter, non-aspirin pain relievers as necessary.