Lip augmentation is a cosmetic procedure that can give you fuller, plumper lips. These days, an injectable dermal filler is the most commonly used method of lip augmentation.
There are many types of dermal fillers that can be injected in your lips and around your mouth. But the most common fillers today are products that contain substances similar to hyaluronic acid. Hyaluronic acid is a natural substance found in the body that helps increase volume in your lips. These types of dermal fillers are sometimes called “hyaluronic acid fillers.”
Collagen, once the most common dermal filler, is used less often today. The newer options are safer and the effects last longer. Fat injections and implants are other methods to plump lips. But they aren’t used as much today because the results vary and there is a greater risk of side effects.
Uses for hyaluronic acid fillers:
The effects typically last around six months. After that, more injections are needed to keep the volume of your lips.
There are several hyaluronic acid fillers on the market:
- Restylane®, Restylane-L®, Restylane Silk®
- Juvederm Ultra®, Juvederm Ultra Plus®
- Belotero Balance®
- Prevelle Silk™
All of these products are injected the same way and give you similar results. Some contain lidocaine, a local anesthetic.
Benefits of Hyaluronic Acid Fillers
- Once injected, the gel in the filler supports and shapes the tissues of the lips.
- Control over lip volume — the amount of substance injected can be controlled, so the doctor has better control over how much lip volume is created.
- Gradual pace of treatment — the injections can be given gradually during different appointments until the desired results are achieved.